Rajamouli and Prabhas talk about 'Baahubali 2'
SS Rajamouli's stamina has scaled new heights after 'Baahubali'. In a special interview, this phenomenal filmmaker speaks about what is in store in the second edition due for release this summer, and more. Excerpts from his interview about 'Baahubali 2'.
Rajamouli: Something majestic will be found in Baahubali 2
- The first part was like starters. The second part is like meals. 'Baahubali-The Beginning' only introduced the characters, what they are. The story is yet to be told. 'Baahubali-2' will be about how their relations will unfold, how the drama will be like, how the emotions will be.
- There is a practical difficulty in revealing the trailer release date. We have cut the Trailer and are waiting for the CG shots. Once we get the output from the Vfx guys, we will add sound and DI, which will take 2-3 days. But if we announce the date now, the Vfx team will give us the output only then. And if there is some delay, noises will be heard from people. We will release the Trailer some time around mid-March.
- The story will be concluded with the second part. But the characters will live on. We have questioned ourselves about the backstories of Baahubali, Bhallaladeva, Kattappa, Sivagami, etc and have written the stories. It's not for documentation, as they are high on emotional and dramatic content. A good story has to be told. TV series, Games, Graphic novels, etc will follow.
- It's the actors who own the characters and give away all their time and energies on enacting them. They become the characters physically and mentally.
- We are not feeling pressure. Since the people have accepted the first part, logically speaking, we are guaranteed of openings.
- We have shown how strong is Shivudu. We have also shown how strong is Bhallaladeva. When they lock horns, the action and war sequences you will see are like the father of all such episodes.
- The high water falls of the first part are not there, but something else that is equally majestic is there in the second part.
- Compared with the songs of the first edition, those of 'Baahubali-2' are even more catchy. 'Annayya music gurinchi enthaina cheppochu'.
- Two-three weeks after the release of 'Baahubali-2', I will take a break. I don't know what I will do after this film. In some context, I had said that I want to adapt the epic Mahabharatham depending on my comfort level with the latest technology ten years down the line or so. It doesn't mean my next project will be this.
- Prabhas was exclusively dedicated to 'Baahubali' for 3.5 years. Others went out and did other films, but not him. Without him, there wouldn't have been this franchise.
- Sweety's (Anushka) portions were shot mostly during the first part. Since she didn't reduce in weight after 'Size Zero', she will be seen a bit bulked up in some of the shots. It's normal when more than one part is being made.
- Nanna garu (Vijayendra Prasad) doesn't tell the entire story. He only talks about the characters and a few incidents. They haunt me and cause vibration in my mind. I derive all inspiration from his narration.
- I am happy that 'Baahubali' has defied linguistic barriers to become a pan-Indian cinema. I would like to take my films to as wide an audience group as I can.
Prabhas: Once-in-a-lifetime experience
Prabhas is usually reticent. His fans wait for him to speak. When he does, they are justifiably excited. Now that he is done with his 'Baahubali' assignment, which literally restricted his movement for about 3.5 years, the Rebel Star looks rather relaxed. Excerpts from a special interview.
- 'Baahubali' is a once-in-a-lifetime script. It's an international film. We all knew that if the film works, it will be big for us.
- I am not conscious of the fact that the shoot has been finished. I am still in that hangover. Rajamouli talked with me about the idea at least 1.5 years before the project was commenced. I have traveled with this idea for 5.5 years.
- Everybody knows about Rajamouli's intelligence. As someone who has known him from the days of 'Chatrapathi', I can say that as a person, he has only bettered day after day. He is the same before and after 'Magadheera'.
- 'Baahubali' has been taken to the next level only because of the producers, who are the film's backbone. It was their vision to make it national cinema. Vallu thala takattu pettinatte. But they were never tensed. Sobhu garu would always keep smiling. We always believed that a wonder was being made. Hundreds would be there on the sets, some times the number is 700, 1000 and even 2000 and everybody was full of positivity.
- People take pics with me when I am in Mumbai, Delhi, etc. They are familiar with my face. I don't know how popular I am, though. I see these as the aftereffects of the wave called 'Baahubali'.
- When I came to know that my wax statue will be a part of the Madame Tussauds, I got 'hyper'. Rajamouli had a broad smile and hugged me. As the man behind 'Baahubali', he must be credited if the look is in the same place where Spiderman and Captain America looks are put up.
- So many people have so far asked me about 'Why did Kattappa kill Baahubali?' I joked with someone that it will be answered in the third part. Vadiki gunde agipoyinantha pani aindi.
- My personal feeling is that that the songs of 'Baahubali-2' are better than those of the first part. The latter sounded better when seen as part of the film, but the former are sounding great even without the visuals.
- Nanna garu is a great devotee of Lord Shiva. He goes to Srisailam before my movie's release and places the reel in front of Him.
- I don't have a correct answer about my marriage. When it's confirmed, it will be reported by the media.
- I am not worried how much wax it will take to make my statue because they are not going to ask me any money.